Why We Love Living In Sugarhouse

Wednesday, October 1, 2014


When we moved back to Utah I knew it was ridiculously hard to find a place. Yes, I can be a little picky but you would be too if your apartment was also your workplace and granted, when it came down to it I wasn't THAT picky. But after we took a trip down to Sugarhouse to look for "For Rent" signs, I knew we HAD to live there. It's the only place in Utah that feels like home!

So we finally found a place, coincidentally at our previous apartment building and with the exception of the neighbors with the little yappy dog and the boyfriend that stays home playing videogames all day... it's perfect! I absolutely love this little town and I'm so happy to be back because...

Food, food, food.
Of course it's first on the list. Not only are there lots of great chains around us (Chipotle, Zupas, Costa Vida...) but there's also lots of independent eateries that we love, but I'll share those on a later date. While we still sometimes go downtown for date nights, most of the time we can stick around here for some good eats!

The Sugarhouse Market
Speaking of food, we love the Sugarhouse market, though I think it might be ending for the winter (sad day!). But it's within walking distance and some of our favorite vendors and food trucks go there. Plus it has entertainment like music or last week's belly dancing. It's such an entertaining date night activity.

The old and the new come together.
I love the old feel to Sugarhouse- the main street, the old neon signs, the great store fronts, the memorials here and there. But there's also a lot of great new stuff. Things are always changing around here and that's part of the fun! Let's just keep the neon signs, please.

Everything is within walking distance.
Grocery stores, the gym, church, shopping, movies, and food. Does this mean we actually walk everywhere? No. But we really should considering the traffic around here sucks and it would be nice for the earth and all that jazz.

Nothing is too far.

Yes, I know I already said everything is within walking distance. But beyond walking, we have the freeway right here and we're sandwiched between family in Davis County and family in the Salt Lake Valley. We're never too far from anywhere we want to be in Utah.

A mini city near the big city.
Sugarhouse is like it's own little mini-city while still only being a few miles from city center. We have everything we need right here but we can also take a trip downtown whenever we feel like it.

People friendly.
And by people friendly I mean people walk or bike or longboard everywhere which is really nice and comforting as I won't be alone when I got out and there's generally enough people that I'm not getting cat-called or feel like the lone poor person without a car. Plus drivers *usually* pay attention and are respectful of pedestrians. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of places that I would deem "people friendly" around Utah so I'm glad to be here!

Granola crunchers
People that know Sugarhouse generally think "granola crunchers" and I can't disagree but I love it! I love that people care about the environment and the community and the arts and are generally more free spirited people. I think it makes the neighborhood all the more fun and endearing.

Artsy!
There's an art walk in Sugarhouse that goes on every week at the galleries around the neighborhood. There's quite a few plus an art supply store so a lot of artsy people come around a lot. Plus there's some great street art and signage around here.

So there you go. If you care about these kinds of things and don't care about things like old old buildings that don't include dishwashers and have cracks on the walls from being on a fault line OR that people forget to drive when they enter the neighborhood OR that a neighborhood club can be pretty loud until about 2 in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays OR that the streets are too skinny OR that it attracts a pretty low income crowd (like us!).. then you'll love living here too.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree Sugarhouse is pretty amazing place to live. You forgot the great consignment stores... Home Again and EmilyJane

    ReplyDelete