Thoughts On My Pixie Cut

Wednesday, November 5, 2014



Well my friends. My hair is now below my ears and I can finally say that my pixie cut is grown out. It was a long long process, full of frustrating hairs falling in my face and nothing to hold them back as well as stages where I had to do my best to cover up my David Bowie mullet. There were even times where I got so frustrated I wanted to just go back to a pixie cut so I wouldn't have to deal with it growing out anymore. Blegh. But here we are! Finally!

And now it's time to reflect and share my thoughts for those many people that asked questions about my haircut as if I decided to get tiger stripes tattooed on my face... Trust me, it's really not that extreme.

So why did I do it?

I've never been one of those girls that loves hair. I've always had long hair (with the exception of that one awful cut I got in seventh grade but we won't talk about that) and I never did anything with it. I remember my mom giving me milkmaid braids once. Otherwise it was a ponytail or a lazy low bun at the back of my neck so hair wouldn't get in my face. It generally just got in the way.

Plus I've always liked pixie cuts. I think they look cool and exciting and up until two Januarys ago, I didn't have the guts to do it myself. And then Rubi came to town and if there was anyone I would trust to cut my mid-back-length hair into a pixie, it was Rubi. So I scheduled my appointment and voila, my hair was gone!

The Pros:
  • No tangles, pulling, or hair in my face. Ever.
    Not when I'm in a convertible, not when I'm on a roller coaster. Never.
  • Easy maintenance.
    Most days I just needed a bit of mousse or hairspray and I was good! And other days I didn't do anything at all. And I hate getting ready in the morning so less time spent in the bathroom was amazing.
  • Short showers and more shampoo.
    Less hair means shampoo lasts MUCH longer and showers are much shorter.
  • Dye your hair and it will grow out fast!
    I dyed my hair a few times and it was nice because it grew out and I could go back to my natural color or try something new. It was fun!
  • I got compliments just for having the guts to do it.
    Besides the fact that I had a cool haircut, I was getting compliments just for the sheer fact that I did it when most girls are too scared to (the common discussion topic with many a complete stranger). 

The Cons:
  • That first winter was very cold on my ears.
    Especially since I was in school, walking to and from campus in the snow. It was cold cold cold. You don't realize how much hair helps until the wind and snow are blowing on your naked head and neck! Also, wearing a scarf made the back of my hair curl up in a very unattractive way. So all in all, this haircut isn't the greatest for the cold.
  • Growing out a pixie is the pits.
    Especially when the chunk of hair just above your neck grows really fast and thick, meaning you need a haircut every month to get rid of the mullet. (No, I do not have a picture of my mullet, it's that embarrassing.)
  • Oh and haircuts at least every two months.
    But with that whole mullet thing it was usually more often. Quite the change from my haircut every 2 years... Granted, I did find an awesome barber and I don't mind seeing him every two months.
  • Bad hair day? That sucks.
    Seriously. You can't throw your hair up in a ponytail or a messy bun. You're screwed. Hence the beanie.
  • Silly as it is, I felt less feminine and pretty.
    I started wearing more makeup because I couldn't hide behind my hair anymore and it was much harder to feel dressed up for date nights and such since I couldn't really do anything special with my hair. I know I know, it's silly. But it mattered. And it doesn't help that I look a lot like my dad and the haircut made that REALLY obvious.

Will I do it again?

Anytime soon? No. I'm going to make this awful growing out period worth it by holding on to long hair for as long as my self-control will let me (hopefully at least 6 months). But eventually, yes. I loved having a pixie cut. It was a lot of fun and I felt like it was very ME. 

2 comments:

  1. I have these same thoughts about a pixie! I always had long hair, too, until last summer - and chopped it all. I love the ease of short hair, but definitely know what you mean about needing more haircuts and more makeup to balance out the less-than-feminine shorter style. I'm debating if I want to start growing mine, but then I remember how easy the current cut is and I stay with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo true. Looking back at these pictures and they way it felt when I first got it cut almost makes me want to get it cut again. But I think I'll try something new for a bit and see how it goes first ;)

      Delete