At The Zoo With Wyatt
Saturday, October 4, 2014
We went to the Hogle Zoo last summer just the two of us, but let me tell you, going to the zoo with Wyatt this weekend was MUCH more fun. Maybe it's because zoos are pretty much made for kids or maybe it was seeing his reaction to everything or maybe it was the way it forced us to move slower so my feet didn't hurt after speed-walking through the entire park. And it also could've been that we went at the end of summer when it was a bit cooler instead of in the middle of the hot hot summer.
But seriously. It was too much fun. The way he would make his shocked "Ooooo" sound when he saw something cool (like the gorillas walking around in front of him) or the way he was scared of the animal statues at first. He loved watching the seals, probably because they were the most entertaining animals there, while most of them just slept. Them and the people cleaning the seal habitat windows. Wyatt found them fascinating.
And of course the animals were cool. There were lots more than there were last year and I was happy to see so many out and moving around! Though of course my favorites, the orangutans, slept under burlap sacks the whole time which I was a bit depressed about. But at least the other monkeys were active. Even the big gorilla managed to move around in his sleep right next to the window. Also, did you know the closest relative (genetically speaking) to an elephant is that little rodent perched on a rock? It was creepy fella. I could've sworn it was stuffed because it was just sitting there on that rock staring straight ahead, not flinching or blinking. And then just as I was about to walk away it turned towards me and started looking around. And one of it's eyes was a little wonky, moving around in different directions, adding to the creepiness. Anyways...
In an effort to be the coolest aunt and uncle, Josh and I bought cool name brand snacks that I didn't get much as a kid- Gushers, Fruit by the Foot, and the sticks you dip in the awful but oh so good cheese. But since right now we're the only aunt and uncle within 600 miles of Wyatt, I think we'll have the title at least until Elisse and Eric move here. But since they have their own kid.... We'll see who wins!
All around a pretty awesome Saturday. I'm so happy that David, Andrea, and Wyatt live close by at least for a little while. It's pretty great.

























No comments:
Post a Comment