That's a sugar cookie in the shape of Indiana (with a cinnamon candy over Columbus-ish), in case my decorating skill confused you.
My knowledge of the Midwest is terrible, at best. Driving to Michigan during the summer was pretty awesome and eye opening to just how flat those states are. Well, last month I had another opportunity to venture back out to the Midwest.
Cummins Inc. is a worldwide diesel manufacturing company that recruits at Weber State every year. I have attended the last 3 information sessions here and finally was close enough to graduation to interview with them. I made an okay impression (in my mind) while they were here then boom they were gone back to Indiana.
I didn’t hear back from them for a few weeks and was getting a little worried. The phone call finally came and they wanted to fly me out to interview at their headquarters in Columbus Indiana (40 minutes south of Indianapolis). Let’s just say I was excited! Free flights, rental car, hotel room, and a little time to explore.
The interview process started nice and early the next morning. We were brought in to watch a quick safety video since the building was also their fuel system plant. They fed us an awesome breakfast then sat us with someone to see what the work was like. I listened in on a few calls with a seasoned employee, then it was on to 3 separate interviews with 2-3 interviewers.
The interviews were pretty easy going, a bit of getting to know me and my background and why I wanted to work at Cummins. The first interview was with the ‘Rapidserve’ manager and another veteran employee. These two actually put me at ease, even though they were the most important, since they let me know that these interviews were mostly to see if I’d fit in with the team.
My favorite interview question they asked was, “What sets you apart, why should I hire you over other applicants?” Many qualities I listed were ones that I acquired on my mission or growing up. After all the interviews, all the appllicants and the interviewee’s met back up for lunch. Those in charge then asked my buddy Brandon (who I met on my mission in California) to take us applicants around to some of the sights and the housing options around town. They let us know they’d contact us with an offer in about a month if we got the job.
So off we went to the Cummins museum where they have the first Dodge truck to ever have the Cummins’ Diesel in it among many other items of Cummins’ history. Brandon also took us to some of the larger apartment complex’s where a lot interns and new hires first live.
Brandon was the only one who knew where we were going so we drove out to the countryside, apparently just to see some of the fall colors and beauty of Indiana. Although there are no mountains there are lots of rolling hills covered in trees. I don’t particularly love the mountains or snow in Utah so I really appreciate the forests on the rolling hills.
That was pretty much the day in Indiana, I returned my rental car (first one ever) and flew home. I didn’t get back to Utah until super late and I was exhausted from the day and flying. Talking to Bethany on our way home from the airport, she confessed she would be okay moving to Indiana, and as the week went on and we talked about it more and more, we were both excited about the prospect.
It was a little over a week (not the month I was told) when I received the offer letter from Cummins with benefits, paid vacation, and more money than I would have even negotiated for! I came home with all the paperwork and showed Bethany. Needless to say, we were both stoked! So the bad news is, we’re moving away from Utah, and the good news is… we’re moving away from Utah for a great job, with a great company, and an awesome salary.
Congrats!!!
ReplyDelete