Our Favorite Detroit Eateries

Tuesday, September 9, 2014




Obviously we tried lots of food while we were living in Detroit. My bucket list for our three months there mainly consisted of eateries I'd heard of and needed to try. And while I planned on never eating at the same place twice, I couldn't resist falling in love with certain places and eating there over and over again. They caught me! So here are our favorites.

1. Vinsetta Garage.
Just go read my raving post. Enough said.

2. Slows BBQ.
We went here quite a few times and loved it. I'm not normally a huge meat eater but each time I ordered a sandwich piled high with meat and it was AMAZING. Plus their sweet potato mash is awesome and the mac and cheese is definitely worth a try. We went here for Josh's birthday and a few date nights.

3. Mercury Burger Bar.
We went to this place after I found out they had poutine and they were open late on a night that we were hungry at 11pm. And then we went every Saturday for four weeks straight after that. We got the poutine tots every single time we went (they are AWESOME) and Josh liked every burger he tried. I ended up loving the grilled cheese (made on inside out burger buns) with pickles and bacon. So good and grilled to perfection!

4. Bangkok 96.
There are a lot of great Thai places in Detroit and that seemed to be our cuisine of choice during the three months we were there so we tried a number of them. This was our favorite and it just so happens that it was closest to us. I love their noodle dishes and the egg rolls are very good as well. The bishop in our ward there served his mission in Thailand and he says it's the most authentic Thai food around!

5. Brooklyn's Local.
I went here for breakfast with a friend and it was great! I was sad I didn't have the chance to go more as it's not open for dinner, but the food was great! I got the grilled cheese with apples and the poutine- both were divine! Service was great and it was a cute little place. I recommend waiting to eat inside though- I may have soaked my shirt with sweat from eating outside under the hot hot sun...

6. Astoria Pastry Shop.
I loved loved loved this place. It was full of amazing pastries and sweet treats. Each time we went we tried something new and loved indulging. I particularly loved their ginormous macarons and the chocolate covered cannoli with chocolate filling. Plus it's open late for when you need a sweet treat late at night!


HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Green Dot Stables - I liked this place for a lighter fare. Lots of great little dishes to try.

Nice Modern Creamery - This place was pretty new and they make ice cream right in front of you using dry ice. The flavors are incredible and the service is always great.


PLACES WE REALLY WISH WE HAD GONE TO:

La Pita - We had friends that LOVE this place and we really wanted to try some middle eastern food while we were there, but by the time we wanted to go we couldn't really afford it... Sad day.

Bucharest Grill - Again we heard awesome things about this place but just never got around to it... Shame on us!

Lafayette Coney Island - It's super famous and apparently has the best coneys around. Unfortunately I was never in the mood for a hot dog covered in a thick meat sauce so we never got around to going there...

Good Girls Go To Paris - This was the only eatery that was on my bucket list that I never got around to trying. Crepes are such a conundrum to me- too sweet for breakfast but too breakfasty for dessert!


Of all the things I miss most about Detroit it's probably the food! There was just so much culture there and lots of great independent eateries with unique menus and atmospheres. I love Utah and it's abundance of good chains, but I miss all the great unique places you could find all over Metro Detroit. It definitely kept us busy and full on the weekends!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about you is that you make food a priority when you go somewhere. When we were in San Francisco last year, I kept suggesting places to eat in the city and things like that and my mom said to me, "We didn't come on vacation to eat." That's how I grew up, we went to places that we were familiar with to satisfy the picky eaters in our family. Luckily, I have a husband who will explore new restaurants with me and makes eating out a priority too! I loved what you said in one of your other posts, I think maybe it was on The Collaboreat, about eating out being your fun together. We don't do a whole lot with our money, but eating out is the one thing that we do. :) Every time my mom says something about how much we go out to eat (which really isn't that often), I have to remind her that it's our activity that we do together and we don't really spend money on anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I mean, not only does it do the job of filling me up, but it's really a great way to delve into the culture and atmosphere of the places you go to. I love it! But I totally understand when you've got a family to think of. When I lived in California with my family, I didn't get too adventurous, partly because we lived in suburbia where there weren't a whole lot of great hole in the walls and partly because we had to have something for everyone, including my little sister who generally only eats cheese pizza haha And yeah, we've had friends with similar budgets to us that don't get why we eat out so much. But we're totally fine with having awesome date nights and they can save up for that awesome TV! We just have different priorities :)

      Delete